Monday, July 16, 2012

Action Masters Starscream Turbo Jet toyhack

The Transformer's Action Masters toy-line arrived at the tail end of the original Transformers run from the 80s. I suspect they were more well known in Europe than in the States as the series ran a year longer in that market. It's fairly easy to come across an incomplete Starscream Turbo Jet. I liked the design. It reminded me of the Micronauts' Photon Sled. I wanted the modifications to be simple.

Who's the dude with the whip? It's GI Joe's Croc Master, and he's looking for some action.
There is a what looks like a 2.5mm peg on top where the steering unit should go. I had a random part that looked steering unit-ish.
I drilled a 2.5mm hole through the top and with a little fiddling got it to fit.
I drilled a 5mm hole in the back. There were small pegs that protruded from the grills that got in the way. So I filed them down.
This is a Multimac part. More Multimacs toyhacks here.

I sawed off the back end and removed the propeller top. The lower end had a 5mm peg on it's end. Where the propeller was I drilled another 5mm hole. The blue tail fin is from a Micronauts Mobile Explorer Laboratory. The 5mm peg is most likely Zoids Blox.
I cut down a 5mm tube so it would match up to the rear of the jet.
Engine assembly added. The infant chair requires safety belts.
The existing hole between the screws is slightly widened.
A 5mm pegged wheel is added. This one I think belongs to a blockman vehicle, but any small wheel will work.
Ride Croc Master Ride!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Gigasaurus — Ampzilla toyhack

Today's project started out as a discussion thread on the Micronauts/ Microman Facebook page about the iconic and controversial Ampzilla. That link is here. The rare Micronauts toy arrived late in the toy line's run.
All this toy talk inspired me to take matters into my own hands and make my very own Ampzilla one closer to my tastes. A casual approach would most likely consist of getting a realistic looking plastic dinosaur and drilling 5mm holes into it's skull to insert 'freaking lasers on it's head' perhaps inserting some gack randomly over it's body. I opted for another approach.

I actually spent a lot of time working on the tank treads. I had some sort of Gobot which had very nice wheels. I was trying to find appropriate feet to attach it to. I had a Starriors' foot which were perfect but only one.
I had the 1999 Microman Kit Crab Dozer and found they worked well, it even had a starter hole that made drilling a breeze. The body is a 1987 Transformer Headmaster Brainstorm. Notice the large hole (roughly 10mm) for the arms?
I had Energon Barricade legs which fit nicely into the notches once I filed down the surrounding areas. The tail is made from assorted Zoid Neo-Blox toys. I drilled a 5mm hole on it's bottom and the tail is done.
The head proved difficult. I didn't want to plop on a recognizable head. It needed to be uniquely absurd. The first arrangement made from Energon Insecticon head piece and Energon Scorponok tail lasers. Colors didn't really gel. I knew it needed to be red.
I originally had Energon Cruelock arms, which gave it a very T-Rex look, much too safe. I am very inspired by Ark/Bullmark's Ultraman Kaiju line, including the glitteringly absurd Gigan. I was very tempted to give him a bulldozer scoop for a hand, but what says kaiju more than claws, provided by Beast Wars PowerPinch. The yellow guy I believe is a Converter. I added wings and a missile to him and Sky Blaster is done. He's a low-wage Minicon.
In the tradition of Microtron and his curiously placed Drill. Ampzilla sports a Blockman engine.
This may have started out as an Ampzilla project but other influences have insinuated their way in. I name thee Gigasaurus!

<a href=""></a>